Borrow vs. Lend
Who borrows? Who lends? Let's imagine a situation: Fred needs some money to start his own business. He speaks to the bank, and they give him some money... but only temporarily. Eventually Fred has to give all the money back to the bank.
- Fred borrowed money from the bank.
- The bank lent money to Fred.
- After a few years, Fred paid back the money he had borrowed from the bank. So the bank got back the money it had lent to Fred.
"Loan" is a noun, but in US English it can also be used as a verb, like "lend".
- Verb: The bank loaned Fred $10,000.
- Noun: Fred got a loan from the bank.